Saturday, April 26, 2008

Kinda Disgusted




"'There are no winners in a trial like this,'" [NY Mayor Michael] Bloomberg said in a statement. "'An innocent man lost his life, a bride lost her groom, two daughters lost their father, and a mother and a father lost their son. No verdict could ever end the grief of those who knew and loved Sean Bell.'"
All I'm saying is: fifty shots by plainclothes officers at a fleeing vehicle...a vehicle, which, once the dust cleared, was determined to not have a weapon in it...I can't even form complete sentence, that's how disgusted I am.
Okay, maybe that's not all I'm saying. I guess my real disgust comes from the fact that after hearing about their acquittal (click on clip entitled, "Detectives in Sean Bell Case React to Verdict"), amidst thanking God and their family and friends for their support, only one of the three defendants/officers addressed the Bell family. Marc Cooper said, "I'd like to say sorry to the Bell family for the tragedy." That's it. That's all. I agree with Bloomberg and applaud his statement (found at the same address, clip entitled, "Mayor Bloomberg Reacts to Sean Bell Verdict"). There are no winners and words will not bring Sean Bell back. At the same time, for these officers to thank their lucky stars that they were acquitted and to not acknowledge that they fired upon and (reloaded and) fired upon and murdered an innocent man is disgusting. I'm done.

No comments: